News from hřbitov Nové Město na Moravě, Czech Republic “Stupid is as Stupid does Edition
– “Missouri Republicans have drafted a bill that would allow parents to pull their children from science classes that are teaching the theory of evolution. According to the National Center for Science Education (NCSE), Missouri’s House Bill 1472 would effectively “eviscerate” the teaching of biology in the state.” Stupid is as stupid does. “Missouri GOP: Allow Parents to Pull Their Kids From Science Classes Teaching Evolution”
– “Drop Dead, Detroit!” Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson admitted, “Anytime I talk about Detroit, it will not be positive. Therefore, I’m called a Detroit basher. The truth hurts, you know? Tough shit.”
“I made a prediction a long time ago, and it’s come to pass. I said, ‘What we’re gonna do is turn Detroit into an Indian reservation, where we herd all the Indians into the city, build a fence around it, and then throw in the blankets and the corn.’” Stupid is as stupid does. Michigan GOPer:’Herd all the Indians’ to Detroit, build a fence and throw them some corn” Stupid is as stupid does.
– “Fox News host Martha MacCallum on Monday asserted that the solution to the arrest gap between black and white Americans was for African-Americans to smoke less marijuana. ”Fox’s MacCallum: Solution to high minority arrest rate is for blacks to smoke less weed. “Fox’s MacCallum: Solution to high minority arrest rate is for blacks to smoke less weed.” Stupid is as stupid does.
– “Sitting around that table we felt like a rag-tag grouping of Davids, in the historic Biblical story,” DeVos told me in an email. “But we left the table committed to doing our best to change Michigan’s future for the better.” Another wealthy wingnut trying to buy influence in government. As if he has not done much to influence the Michigan courts through his funding. QOTD: Dick DeVos Stupid is as stupid does.
– “On Thursday, an Orlando man shot and killed a 21-year-old who was fleeing his yard. He didn’t appear to be stealing anything, according to witness accounts. He didn’t appear to be threatening anybody. But Claudius Smith said he feared he was a burglar, followed him over the fence to a neighboring apartment complex, where he shot him after he said he felt threatened, according to a confession documented in an Orlando Police Department report. Smith even said he feared victim Ricardo Sanes was armed “because his pants were falling down” and his hands were in his hoodie pockets, according to a report obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.” Get off my lawn or I’ll shoot you dead. Stupid is as stupid does.
The really sad thing is that I had already seen a couple of those items and I can not even get to the point of saying “huh” anymore. Probably the biggest change I have noted is that the politicians do not even pretend anymore. I mean the guy from Michigan would not have been so overtly racist 20 years ago even if he did not know his remarks would be attributed. Politicians coddling up to the extreme Christian right used to argue about giving creationism equal time. Fox News has always existed to spread fear and ignorance to its audience, but even it seems challenged to become almost a parody of itself. You would like to think that a majority of people in this country would say “enough already” but we have to remember that an IQ of a 100 is the mean and somewhere around half the population believes in ghosts.
Michigan is the 2nd most radical state after Texas. It was #2 to Texas in the signing of a letter by House Reps to Boehner demanding he hold the government hostage to defund the PPACA and hold the budget hostage. The population is getting pretty riled with some of the stupid antics. I think there will be a few new faces in the House this year.
I blame The American Educational System. Who knows, maybe in another generation???
Run-The link for the Missouri story doesn’t work. Also did you read the Orlando Sentinel story?
Run75441: Good question, but then again, why not? Could be something as simple as something in the water or air pollution. Anyway, my short game.
The natural human condition, the natural state of man is brutality, greed, and stupidity. The theory of education is that one trains a child to be an adult of a higher order through teaching HUMAN RESPECT, fair and reasonable consumption of available resources, dissipation of ignorance, and instillation of CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS.
HUMAN RESPECT—One cannot force a child or an adult to “Love Thy Neighbor” but one can teach a child to RESPECT the Other. OUR Bill Of Rights is a first step attempt to bring forth that respect. Metal detectors, cops in the halls, and handcuffs on the kids while touting ONLY the 2nd Amendment doesn’t teach HUMAN RESPECT.
GITMO, Iraq, Afghanistan, or filling prisons with People Of Color are not good examples of respect either.
GREED—Wall Street, OUR Financial System nor OUR “less than adequate” Minimum Wage, 5% of the worlds population consuming 25% of the worlds resources, do not TEACH fairness or reasonableness in consumption.
IGNORANCE—A well informed citizenry IS critical to good governance. To that end I give YOU FOX NEWS, the most widely watched and popular source of said information.
CRITICLE THINKING SKILLS— I ask YOU, “Would a nation of a majority of CRITICLY THINKING CITIZENS have RE-ELECTED George Bush and Dick Cheney?”