by Mike Kimel
Some thoughts on the next presidential election.
1. It seems to be a political truism that only Nixon could go to China.
2. Once a precedent is set, even taboo activities become OK. Clinton could go to China because Nixon had already gone.
3. Obama seems willing to, er, “fix” a number of programs that folks on the left hold dear like Social Security and Medicare.
4. GW was unable to tackle Social Security and Medicare, though he did express the desire to do so.
5. Under the Nixon-has-gone-to-China precedent, Social Security and Medicare will not be off limits to Obama’s successors of either party.
6. If Obama wins in 2012, what other Chinas will he visit?