Open thread June 15, 2018 Dan Crawford | June 15, 2018 4:08 am Tags: open thread Comments (3) | Digg Facebook Twitter |
From the “Heartland”.
Michigan Conservatives Are Striking References to the KKK from History Books
Whatever happened to the dangers of erasing history?
From the Detroit Journalism Cooperative:
While the standards still could be tweaked as a result of public comments, the current draft bears the imprint of several notable Michigan conservatives who served on a focus group charged with making changes to the standards, according to several members of the committee and officials at the Michigan Department of Education who spoke to Bridge, along with Colbeck, who is running as a Republican candidate for governor…
…Notable changes in the proposed new standards include:
– References to the Ku Klux Klan are decreased, from two to a single reference in eighth-grade, along with a mention in a list of optional examples high school history teachers can consider when teaching about social issues between 1890 and 1930. (Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story only listed the optional example mention of the KKK in the proposed standards.)
– Five existing references to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People have been cut, with a lone reference remaining in a section on the 1920s on its “legal strategy to attack segregation.”
– The two references to gays and lesbians in the current standards, in sections dealing with the fight for rights for minority groups, have been deleted.
– Both references in the current standards to Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case legalizing abortion, are removed.
– A high school standard about the expansion of civil rights and liberties for minority groups cut references to individual groups, including immigrants, people with disabilities and gays and lesbians. The new proposal includes teaching “how the expansion of rights for some groups can be viewed as an infringement of rights and freedoms of others.” Colbeck told Bridge he added that phrase.
– References to climate change are cut in the proposed standards, with the impact of man on global warming limited to an optional example sixth-grade teachers can use when discussing climate in different parts of the planet. (The standards retain a more generic reference to teaching how “human actions modify the environment.”) In notes Colbeck sent to the state board, the former aerospace engineer argues that climate change is “not settled science.”
Another example Colbeck cited of his influence in shaping of the new standards is the deletion of the word “democratic” from the phrase “core democratic values.” They had this term in there called ‘core democratic values,’” Colbeck said. “I said, ‘Whatever we come up with has to be politically neutral, and it has to be accurate.’ I said, ‘First of all, core democratic values (is) not politically neutral.’ I’m not proposing core republican values, either.”
Btw, this “real american” colbeck(the one with a brain shrunken by his racist, homophobic ideologies has twice won election in the Michigan state Senate.
“democratic core values” are not politically neutral.
Geez, michigan, get a fen clue.
“Under the Trump administration’s extreme “zero tolerance” immigration policy, which was officially announced on May 7, more than 1,300 immigrant children have been ripped from their parents while attempting to cross into the U.S. The stories from the border are horrifying: federal agents allegedly taking away a mother’s baby as she was breastfeeding, asylum seekers listening to their children scream from another room, and a man killing himself after being separated from his wife and child.
“The practice of separating families amounts to arbitrary and unlawful interference in family life, and is a serious violation of the rights of the child,” said a spokesperson for the U.N. human-rights office.
For those who don’t live in southern states or meet the qualifications for volunteering, a simple way to help is by donating to organizations. In addition to the Texas Civil Rights Project (donate here), there’s the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES), the largest immigration nonprofit in Texas that provides free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrants. And, as always, you can donate to the ACLU.”
Illegals’ kids are not collateral damage from US war making.
The US encouraging its preferred brand of Islamic militants has done hugely more harm to women children in Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan…. illegals’ kids are not getting cholera , are well fed and sleep in clean beds.