by Tom aka Rusty Rustbelt
Health Care Thoughts: Employer Responses
The Urban Institute and the Robert Woods Johnson Foundation published a paper (October 2011) about the potential responses of employers and employees. The paper tends to take an optimistic view on the responses of employers, although warning of possible short term thinking by some employers.
Now the SCOTUS uproar is resolved, it was worth rereading.
My own view is slightly different, focusing on:
1) Employers with high value employees will continue to provide benefits.
2) Employers with lower value employees will scrutinize the options.
3) Employer slightly below the 50 cutoff will not be hiring.
4) Employers slightly above the 50 cutoff will look to cut employees.
5) Some employers will try to build networks of independent contractors.
Read the UI paper, it is well written for a technical work.