Harsh C.I.A. Methods Cited in Top Qaeda Interrogations. The headline barely does justice to the content, about which you should be outraged (let Sen. Inhofe howl in outrage at your outrage.)
UPDATE: Read this too, on Congressmembers’ reactions to seeing the still classified photos and videos from Abu Ghraib:
- “Hard on the stomach lining,” said Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.)
- “Disgusting,” said Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) [Lieberman failed to mention that this was all fine because “The people who attacked us on September 11 never apologized.”].
- “Horrible,” added Sen. Lincoln Chafee (R-R.I.)
- Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.): “These people are not members of my Army”
- Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Oreg.): “It was beyond anything that I had anticipated … All I can tell you is that this means that it is so urgent that steps are taken to try to begin to repair the damage.”
- “I saw things that made me sick,” said Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-San Jose).
- “It had nothing to do with trying to break them,” said Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) “It was sadomasochistic sexual degradation.”
- “Even more disturbing was a video of a man who seemed to be flailing himself against a door,” said Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.), “… The nature of these photos is more inflammatory than the original photos”
- Rep. Sherwood L. Boehlert (R-N.Y.): “… no one can convince me, knowing the situation as I do, that this is all about seven reservists from Maryland … It’s about more than that.”
- Sen. Feinstein (D-Ca): “[There was] not a strong chain of command in place, and the Geneva Convention was winked at. Somebody gave the order that prisoners had to be softened up, and someone came up with this idea of doing it in this disgusting way.”